Saturday, February 27, 2010

Work

"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it."
--Henry David Thoreau


In the all too common struggles of stretching our pennies I often have to remind myself of this.

When I fist met Greg I was amazed at his ability to take something old and broken even discarded and turn it into something beautiful. He enjoys his job of remodels and landscaping, fixing up things that are old and worn out and turning them into something beautiful. Work is inconsistent and sometimes when he doesn't have anything lined up he will work for almost nothing. The love of work not the love of money.

There are days when I wonder why I have the job I have. Then there are beautiful days. Days of teaching when the students ask all the right questions and I know all the right answers. Days when the class laughs at the parts of the lesson I intended to be funny. Days when they productively and engagingly work on their assignment completing excellent work not only for the class but as something they can take with them into their future lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment